Twenty-three of Australia’s finest bartenders and mixologists have partnered with ‘Cheers! Spirits from the USA’ to create a free cocktail book that includes their favourite cocktails that spotlight American spirits. The launch coincides with the Fourth of July (also known as Independence Day), an annual American public holiday.
It marks the day the Declaration of Independence was adopted (July 4, 1776) and the United States officially became its own nation. Americans celebrate with festivals, parades, fireworks, barbecues and other festive activities.
While Aussies don’t celebrate July 4, they certainly love their American spirits. According to data from Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (DISCUS), Australia is the third biggest export market for American whiskey, behind the UK in number two position and Japan at number one.
The bartenders involved in the Cheers! cocktail book include Matthew Dale from Re Bar in Sydney, Corby Small from The Gresham Bar in Brisbane, Sebastian Terreux from Bank Street Social in Adelaide, Ana Marie from The 18th Amendment Bar in Melbourne and Stu Inger from Volstead Repeal in Canberra.
The cocktail recipes vary in taste and the level of complexity, but they all highlight the quality and versatility of American spirit brands including Angel’s Envy, Jack Daniels, Maker’s Mark, Old Forester, Sagamore Spirit, Wild Turkey, Westland, Westward American Single Malt Whiskey and Woodford Reserve.
Whether you prefer a Manhattan or Whiskey Sour, an Old Fashioned or a Sazerac, there’s a recipe in this book for all spirits enthusiasts.
Charles McEntee from DISCUS, which sponsors the ‘Cheers! Spirits from the USA’ campaign in Australia said: “We’ve been extremely impressed at the calibre of cocktails these Australia bartenders who are at the top of their game have created. Not only do the recipes reflect their extreme level of expertise, but they can also be recreated at home. We hope that adults across Australia really enjoy this 2023 American Cocktail Book.”
Recipes include the Winter Spiced Sour from Naomi Dorrell at The Burdekin Rooftop.
Winter Spiced Sour
20ml Cardamom-infused Old Forester
Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky
20ml Jack Daniel’s Fire
20ml Lemon Juice
10ml Sugar Syrup
METHOD: Pour all ingredients into a shaker, and shake hard with ice. Serve on ice in a tumbler and garnish
with ground star anise or cinnamon powder in a line over foam.
You can compare your favourite at-home attempt from the cocktail book with the expertly crafted version by visiting the below bartenders at their venue:
- Matthew Dale from Re Bar (NSW)
- Lachlan Hill from Stitch Bar (NSW)
- Daniela Barboglio from The Burdekin Hotel (NSW)
- Evan Brown from The Grounds of Alexandria (NSW)
- Felicity Eshman from Shady Pines (NSW)
- Aman Karmacharya from Palazzo Salato by Love Tilly Devine (NSW)
- Judith Zhu from Doorknock (NSW)
- Jaime Evans from The Peakhurt (NSW)
- Ben Copas from The Potting Shed (NSW)
- Naomi Dorrell from The Burdekin Hotel (NSW)
- Damian Blair from North Annandale Hotel (NSW)
- Raphael Redant from Hickson House Distilling Co. (NSW)
- Tom Joseph from The Duke of Clarence (NSW)
- London Purvis from The Doss House (NSW)
- Jay Cozma from The Baxter Inn (NSW)
- Alexander Thorn from Frank Macs (NSW)
- Rory Hutchinson from Beneath Drivers Lane (VIC)
- Yao Wong from The Elysian Whisky Bar (VIC)
- Ana Marie from The 18th Amendment Bar (VIC)
- Andy Chu from One or Two (VIC)
Australian Capital Territory
- Stu Inger from Volstead Repeal (ACT)
- Corby Small from The Gresham (QLD)
- Sebastian Terreux from Bank Street Social (SA)
Hard copies of the book will be available to view at the participating venues, or an e-version will be free to download here.