The winners of the 2020 Australian Women in Wine Awards have been announced, with Cate Looney at Brown Family Wine Group taking out Winemaker of the Year.
The Brown Family Wine Group noted: “A valued member of our winemaking team for over 15 years, Cate is Australia’s leader in Moscato winemaking, as well as the driving force behind our traditional method Sparkling wines – including the multi-award winning Patricia and non-vintage Pinot Noir Chardonnay.”
The online-only event was broadcast live from the Langton’s TV studios in Sydney to the Australian Women in Wine Facebook page. It was co-hosted by comedian, TV and radio personality and Grapes of Mirth co-founder Merrick Watts, and AWIWA Founder and Chair, Jane Thomson.
During the broadcast, the hosts crossed to several gatherings taking place – including Tasmania, Margaret River, Canberra and North East Victoria – showing a sneak peek of how people were celebrating in each state.
A live stream broadcast is not new for the AWIWA, as the awards have been streamed live every year since its inception in 2015, even when a real-life awards ceremony took place. B
Jane Thomson said that while it had been a tough year for all, the calibre of the winners demonstrates an incredible breadth and depth of female talent in our industry.
“I’m so overjoyed that were able to keep the awards going this year, and that we could deliver an online event that brought the industry together in celebration,” she said. “These awards continue to each year uncover even more amazing stories of achievement – and resilience – by women in the Australian wine industry. Congratulations to each and every one of them!”
The 2020 AWIWA winners are:
- Winemaker of the Year – sponsored by Tonnellerie Saint Martin
- Cate Looney, Brown Family Wine Group, Vic
- Champion of Diversity & Equality – sponsored by Australian Grape and Wine
- Helen Strachan, Pernod Ricard Winemakers, SA
- Marketer of the Year – sponsored by denomination
- Trish Barry, Mastermind Consulting, NSW
- Cellar Door Person of the Year – sponsored by Langton’s
- Jess Greatwich, Krondorf Creek Farm, SA
- Viticulturist of the Year – sponsored by Wine Australia
- Catherine Kidman, Wynns Coonawarra, SA
- Owner / Operator of the Year – sponsored by Bacchus Academy
- Melissa Brown, Gemtree Wines, SA
- Woman of Inspiration Award
- Gill Gordon-Smith
Watch the ceremony below: