As Bacardi prepares to celebrate Rum Month during July, new data shows rum appreciation is booming in Australia and internationally.
According to comprehensive new data and forecasts from IWSR Drinks Market Analysis, the global spirits category grew +5% in volume in 2021-2022, with rum growing 9% ahead of whisky at +8%.
After a strong post-COVID-19 recovery in 2021, premium-plus rum volumes are expected to climb by a CAGR of +6% between 2021 and 2026, with value increasing by a CAGR of +6.5%, the IWSR forecasts.
Consumption is heavily concentrated in the US, but Australia is one of the booming markets, along with France, UK, Germany, Italy, Spain and Belgium/Luxembourg and Canada.
The Australian rum market is currently worth over $600 million, with around 5.3% of Aussies (277,402) consuming rum at least once a month.
Growth is being fuelled by the continued spread of cocktail culture, but also by a change of image for rum, which is increasingly being taken seriously as a high-quality spirit to rank alongside Cognac and single malt Scotch whisky.
Venues celebrate Rum Month
There are a number of venues celebrating Rum Month with Bacardi. They include:
- Rosie Campbell’s – Rums of the Caribbean Consumer Masterclass – 9 July, 1pm. Hosted by Loy Catada from Bacardi & Priscila Generali from Rosie Campbell’s (above), consumers can embark on a five rum flight to experience the flavours of Caribbean rum.
- Cinder’s Chef’s Table Bacardi Degustation Dinner – Calypso – 20 July, 6pm: The Chef’s Table signature 4-course Caribbean themed menu created by recently appointed “Chef of the Year” Jake Furst paired with premium Bacardi cocktails. Cinder will also be running a month-long premium cocktail menu.
- Hecho en Mexico Group will be running a month-long Bacardi Rum menu with a Mexican street twist at 14 of their venues across Victoria.
- High Spirits Bar will be running a month-long Bacardi cocktail menu showcasing Bacardi Carta Blanca, Flavours, Ocho and Spiced with an additional unique menu of different Daiquiris for Daiquiri Day (19 July).
Bacardi bartender training program for Rum Month
Bacardí is celebrating Rum Month by launching its second bartender training program, ‘Cocktails of the Caribbean’.
Building on the successful “Rums of the Caribbean” training program, Bacardí Brand Ambassador Loy Catada is partnering with the President of Rum Club Australia Tom Bulmer to present training sessions that celebrate how rum cocktails have played a significant role in global drinks culture as well as their heavy influence on the modern cocktail scene.
Designed to educate and inspire next gen bartenders, attendees will gain a thorough understanding of the diversity of rum styles available and how each can affect the overall drinking experience. Attendees will also journey through an interactive war map to navigate the origins of the world’s most famous rum cocktails – Caipirinha, Mojito, Rum Punch, Daiquiri and Pina Colada – and learn which rum is best served within each.
Catada said: “As the market leader and recently crowned ‘Rum Brand Champion’ by Spirits Business 2023, we at Bacardí want to offer bartenders the opportunity to gain an in-depth understanding of the rum category and the tricks of the trade to perfect serving the five most iconic rum cocktails.
“We’ll explore the history of classic cocktails and how they advanced as society matured, touch on the equipment that had to be invented and perfected to ensure that drinks creation would lead to the new age of the cocktail era so that by the end of this session, attendees will walk away with some of the best tips and tricks to ensure that their cocktail game meets the highest expectations.
“There will even be an opportunity to experience the latest additions to the Bacardí family – Bacardí Coconut and Bacardí Raspberry – which provide a great twist to the classics.”
Bacardí Cocktails of the Caribbean will be travelling the East Coast throughout July, before heading to Adelaide and Perth in August/September, see locations and dates below:
- July 3 – The Keel, The Rocks, Sydney
- July 4 – Rosie Campbell’s, Sydney
- July 12 – Leyla Bar Barton, Canberra
- July 18 – Lily Blacks, Melbourne
- July 24 – Iris Rooftop Bar, Fortitude Valley
- July 26 – Cambus Wallace, Gold Coast
To book onto one of these Bacardí Cocktails of the Caribbean sessions or host one at your bar, reach out to your BMA Representative or contact Bacardí Brand Ambassador, Loy Catada at email@example.com